Many tens of millions of Americans have become dependent on such social media conglomerates as Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Google and Yahoo (among others) for vital communication with friends and relatives, and as avenues for the vital expression of speech and opinion. Additionally, many innocent members of the public rely on these corporate interests for their news and information. Despite the fact that these companies are almost 100% dependent upon their members for the content that these companies then use to make profits from, all of these social media companies have been guilty of data mining, censorship and the repression of free speech of those very members. Given the important service that social media potentially provides for the lives of so many people, the time has come for the federal government to declare the worst of these abusive companies to be public utilities. The social media companies singled out would still remain in the hands of private owners, but with government oversight and regulation to ensure that these companies to not violate their members’ free speech rights, do not steal data and information from their customers that their customers do not want abused, and do not serve as propaganda outlets for anti-American interests. The time has come to end the abuse of social media. For more revolutionary idea on how to make our world a more just society, read The Dharma Manifesto.
October 22, 2016
Declare Social Media a Public Utility
This entry was posted on Saturday, October 22nd, 2016 at 5:58 pm and tagged with facebook, google, media, the dharma manifesto, twitter, yahoo, youtube and posted in Call to Action. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Comments are disabled.
- Recovering from Spiritual Abuse
- The Ashtanga Yoga System as Sadhana
- The Epistemology of Bhakti – Narada Bhakti Sutras, Session Fifteen
- The Teachings of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu: Part Three
- The Teachings of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu: Part Two
- They Want You in a Weakened State
- The Teachings of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu: Part One
- A Call to Dharma
- Celebrating the True Guru
- The Vedic Concept of Freedom
- Understanding the Bhagavad Gita: Acharyaji Appears with Philosophicat
- The Infinite Nature of Vishnu
Learn More About Sanatana Dharma